not quite what your grandma used to make...

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hours of embroidery.



I've been working pretty steady lately, but at some slow going embroidery projects.


The first one is a set of place mats that are actually for my own kitchen - so of course I picked an embroidery design that will probably take me years to finish. I bought some adorable retro inspired fabric at my mother in law's shop - a floral design with little line drawings of birds. And fir the back I picked a contrasting print in the same colors - a wild and bold stripe.


 The embroidery comes in as texture mostly - giving the place mats a really handmade feeling. Using thread of the same brown shade as the illustrative line work in the print, I'm following the lines with a simple running stitch. While a slow going process (especially since I work on them in between sellable projects) I am really happy with how they're turning out.


The second embroidery project I've got going is a table topper. Using a piece of sample fabric I was given I'm also using the same running stitch line tracing technique. The fabric is beautiful - Robbins egg blue, soft grey, bits of navy, and pops of lime green. As the backing n edging I'm using a plain navy blue.

Luckily this project is much faster moving (which helps keep my prices affordable when I go to sell things).

Well back to the needle work and a relaxing Sunday evening.

1 comment: